Post-Secondary Testing Information
ACT Testing Information
Who needs to take the ACT: All students going to a four-year college or two-year transfer college. (Students going to MATC, MPTC or any other technical college do NOT need to take the ACT. These colleges have their own standardize test for admission requirements)
What is the ACT: A standardized test for English, Math, Reading and Science.
Where can I take the ACT: Columbus High School is a testing location for all the ACT testing dates. There are many other testing locations if you prefer not to take the ACT at CHS.
When is the ACT: We recommend students take the ACT in February or April. See Dates and deadlines for all testing date information
How to register for the ACT:
- Go to ACT website
- Create account by clicking Sign up / Log in link
- Log in by clicking Sign up / Log in link and register to take the ACT.
- Send your scores to four higher education institutions when you register. It’s free now and will cost $13 per University later. UW schools requiring scores directly from ACT for admissions and/or registration – Green Bay, La Crosse, Madison, and Platteville. UW schools that prefer scores directly from ACT – Eau Claire, Parkside, River Falls, and Superior.
How much is the ACT:
- ACT (no writing) $42.50 or ACT Plus Writing $58.50 (UW Madison is the only UW school that requires the Writing portion of the ACT
- Fee waivers are available to students who have an economic need - see Mrs. Leis for fee waiver code.
See this website for more information.
How to prepare for the ACT:
- FREE Test Prep for ACT
- ACT Prep workshop at Columbus High School. Date: TBD
- Preparing for the ACT booklet. Available in student services office
- Actstudent.org – click on test prep heading
- Knowhow2gowisconsin.org – Click on Free Test Prep. Then click on ACT. Next click on new users-enroll now. Once you are signed up you will be able to take practice tests for all areas of the ACT. This program provides tutorials for each section and immediate feedback for each question